Frequently Asked Questions About
Mexican Car Insurance

Mexico Auto Insurance
Frequently Asked Questions

  • Why do I Need Automobile Insurance in Mexico?

    A: Carrying a valid Insurance Policy is mandatory in many states of Mexico, as car accident in Mexico is determined to be a felony. Even though some United States automobile insurers offer policies that extend coverage into Mexico (some US Insurance Companies cover damages to your own vehicle in Mexico up to a small distance south of the border, usually no more than 25 miles), Mexican authorities do not recognize this coverage.

    The California Insurance Code (11580.6) includes the following warning:
    “Unless you have automobile insurance written by a Mexican insurance company, you may spend many hours or days in jail, if you have an accident in Mexico. Insurance coverage should be secured from a company licensed under the laws of Mexico to write such insurance in order to avoid complications and some other penalties possible under the laws of Mexico, including the possible impoundment of your automobile”

    The Texas Department of Insurance includes the following warning:
    “Your insurance should cover you if you drive in other U.S. states and Canada. Your policy will not cover you in Mexico because Mexico doesn’t recognize U.S. auto liability policies. Mexican authorities may hold drivers criminally and financially responsible for any auto accidents they cause. If you’re in an accident that results in an injury, police may keep you until they decide who is at fault. You will be asked to show you have insurance the Mexican government will accept or prove that you can pay any judgment against you”

    The New Mexico PRC and the Arizona Department of Insurance includes the same following quote:
    “Mexican law requires that you purchase separate liability coverage from a Mexican insurer before operating your vehicle in Mexico. Your New Mexico / Arizona personal auto policy may provide some limited coverage on a limited basis (within 25-50 miles of the Mexican border); however, this coverage does not meet the insurance requirements of the Republic of Mexico. Failure to purchase proper Mexican liability insurance may result in many hours in a Mexican jail or a heavy fine if you are involved in an accident while operating your vehicle in Mexico”

  • What information do I need to purchase a Mexico car insurance policy?

    A: You will need to provide a valid driver's license and current car registration. If you would like collision, fire and total theft coverage, you will need the lien holder’s contact information (name and address), if applicable. You may purchase your insurance using Visa, Master Card, American Express and Discover or cash (only in our office location).

  • Are claims paid in U.S. dollars?

    A: Quálitas has nationwide special arrangements with Mexican premium car repair shops and agencies so that the repair takes place at the company’s expense, with a 100% satisfaction guarantee to you. Nevertheless, you have the alternative to have the claim settled in U.S. dollars so you may bring your vehicle back in the United States for repair. Bear in mind that you will always have the obligation to pay the corresponding deductible, if applicable.

  • Are other drivers covered under my policy?

    A: Yes. Even though you do not need to list additional drivers, other drivers that you give permission to are covered as long as they have a valid and unexpired non Mexican driver's license on their person.

  • Can I cancel the policy?

    A: Yes.
    ? For Daily Policies - Policy fee, days used and corresponding tax will not be reimbursed.
    ? For Six-Month and Annual Policies - Premium shall be considered as fully earned after 60 days of inception date of your policy. Cancellation refunds must be requested in writing and signed by the insured. The policy fee, days used and corresponding tax will not be refundable.

    Before your policy actually goes into effect you can cancel it at any time. In this case, the policy fee is retained to cover the processing expense.

  • What should I do in case of an accident or if assistance is required?

    A: Along with your Insurance Policy we have included a WHAT TO DO IN CASE OF AN ACCIDENT guide, which includes the toll-free 01-800 numbers to dial (from any Mexican landline telephone), immediately when the accident or the assistance is required. The adjusters of Quálitas will respond to your location (where the accident happened or assistance is required) and will provide further instructions.

  • Is there a deductible in my policy?

    A: Yes.
    ? Collisions and Upset: $500
    ? Total Theft: $1,000
    ? Travel Accident Assistance: $200
    ? Roadside Assistance: please refer to the general conditions of the policy

  • How is the value of my vehicle determined?

    A: Quálitas determines the ACV of the insured vehicle based on the Kelley Blue Book of used cars values. Be sure to add those extras you want insured should you have a loss. Remember, our trailers and Cars are always worth more to us owners than they might be to someone else. We advise you not to under-insure.

  • What is the last model/year we can insure?

    A: Please, remember that we cannot offer physical damage coverage (collisions & upset and total theft) for vehicles more than 15 years old. For older vehicles we can only offer the liability coverage.

  • What options in coverage you offer?

    Liability Only:
    ? Third Party Liability (Combined and Single Limit for Property Damage and Bodily Injury)
    ? Medical Expenses
    ? Legal Assistance
    ? Roadside Assistance
    ? Travel Accident Assistance

    Full Coverage:
    In addition to the above described coverage (Liability Only), the Full Coverage policy also includes:
    ? Collisions & upset
    ? Total theft

    Full Coverage PLUS:
    In addition to the above described coverage (Full Coverage), the Full Coverage PLUS policy also includes:
    ? Vandalism (intentional or malicious acts by one of various persons that result in damage to the insured vehicle, without any other intention other than destruction)
    ? Deductible Waiver for Uninsured Motorist

  • What is the Legal Assistance Coverage?

    A: In Mexico, a traffic accident is considered a felony; it is possible that the authorities will detain you with your vehicle impounded, until they conclude their investigation. Legal Aid helps prevent this, with one phone call an attorney will come to your assistance and negotiate your immediate release as well as the release of the vehicle.

  • What vehicles are eligible for coverage?

    A: Private passenger cars, pickups, SUV's, vans, motorcycles, RVs. Also you may buy coverage for towed items like trailers, boats, ATVs and campers.

  • What vehicles are not eligible for coverage?

    A: The following vehicles are not eligible: Vans for public services, ATVs, Dunne Buggies, Commercial vehicles, Vehicles pulling more than one trailer, Vehicles used for hire and Any Mexican registered vehicle.

  • What vehicles are not insurable?

    A: Alfa Romeo, Lotus, Aston Martin, Maserati, Austin Healy ,McLaren, Avanti, Bentley, Bitter, Pantera, Bugatti, Pininfarina, Delorean, Deytona, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Fiat, Vector, Yugo, Jensen Healey, Lamborghini. Call our office for assistance on coverage for these vehicles.

  • Why shouldn't a Mexican citizen drive my vehicle in Mexico?

    A: There are two reasons why a Mexican citizen is not allowed to drive a vehicle in Mexico: First, they are not covered by our insurance policies. Second, unless they are driving with a U.S. citizen in the vehicle, the vehicle can be confiscated by authorities and the owner will have to travel to Mexico to release the vehicle. Mexican customs officials upon discovering a Mexican citizen driving a U.S. plated vehicle, will confiscate the vehicle and it will most likely never be returned.

  • I made a mistake while typing the information in my policy, how can it be corrected?

    A: Any change in your policy has to be done by us. Please call our office toll-free (800) 332-2118, Monday to Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm Pacific time.

  • Do I have to speak Spanish to be serviced by Quálitas?

    A: No. The Quálitas personnel in the tourist auto claims department are fluent in English and Spanish

  • Are there any exclusion in the policy?

    A: Your insurance policy will not cover:
    • Mexico registered vehicles
    • Vehicles while involved in a race
    • Vehicles that are off-roading
    • Commercial use
    • Please refer to the general conditions of the policy for the full description

  • Can I get insurance for my motorcycle?

    A: Yes, you may purchase insurance for your motorcycle, with any of the 3 coverage options. VERY IMPORTANT: medical payments for the driver and passenger are not covered.

  • Are my personal items covered while inside my vehicle?

    A: No. All personal belongings may be covered in your homeowner's or renter's insurance policy. Verify with your agent for details.

  • My vehicle has a salvage title, can it be insured with Full Coverage or Full Coverage PLUS?

    A: Yes, by reducing 25% of the Actual Cash Value of a similar vehicle without a salvage title. In other words, your vehicle will be insured at 75% of the Actual Cash Value of a similar vehicle without a salvage title.